Winner Dinner - Crispy Chicken Dinner
It's not easy trying to find healthy food recipes that all the family will enjoy. Harder yet, if you have a fussy eater that can't be tempted by anything in their child's bowl.
But sometimes, it's just the simple and satisfying that does the trick... like this lip-smacking crispy chicken dinner meal, sure to brighten up your toddler plates.
Dish out the toddler plates
One of the tips we metion time and again for parents with fussy eaters, is to involve kids at mealtimes. Children of toddler age like to feel that they are in control and this is one way to empower them to feel in charge. I mean, how many times have you heard them say 'You're not the boss of me', er... actually, I am! You get the point...
This crispy chicken dinner is a real hit with little ones, as it uses a handful of ingredients - cornflakes being one. It also brings them into the cooking experience and encourages them to get a little messy.
Quick and easy recipe
If you're a busy mum or dad don't worry, this takes less than half an hour to rustle up. We like to serve it with sliced potatoes and a cucumber and tomato salad. Keep things basic and don't overload their kids' plate. And finally, to level-up your meal, serve it up in a Vroom-Vroom plate for smiles all around.
Your will need:
- 2 x chicken fillets sliced into goujons or strips
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour
- A teaspoon of smoked paprika
- A pinch of garlic salt
- Ground pepper
- 1 egg, whisked
- 125g cornflakes
- 2 spoonfuls of olive oil
Plus a rolling pin and a willing child!
- Turn the oven on and get it warmed up (200c). In the meantime, prepare your chicken by cutting it up into slices.
- TIME TO CALL YOUR CHILD IN (this is where it starts to get fun!)
- Help your child to crack an egg in one bowl, and pour the flour and spices in another
- Next, pour your conflakes into a bag - tie it up and get crunching! Get your child to bash up the bag until the cornfalkes are scattered into small pieces. Yep, good fun isn't it!
- Take your chicken slice and dip it in the flour mix, then dunk it in the beaten egg and finally roll it around until covered in the cornflakes.
- Repeat until complete.
- In a fying pan, heat up the oil and add your chicken strips. They will need to be fried until they start to get lovely and golden, anywhere between 3-5 minutes each side.
- In a baking tray lay the strips out and place in the over for around 5 minutes, or until cooked through. This will give them a nice crispy coating.
- Serve with your sliced potatoes and mini salad.
- Finally, dish up on your fun children's plates and bowls.
- Got leftovers? Fill up a spare kids plastic plate and serve your pick plate when they come home from nursery the next day
So there you have it, a delicious crispy chicken dinner that all the family will enjoy. If you give this a go, be sure to share it with us on Instagram and we'll give you a shout out! @munchyplay.
Let us know what you think in the comments.