How to Host your Very Own Thanksgiving
Yes, yes, we know it's an American tradition, but after the year we've all had, any opportunity for a house party (albeit restriced to our own household), is one worth mentioning!
What is Thanksgiving anyway?!
This year, Thanksgiving falls on Thursday 22 November. Dating back to the 1620s, the tradition takes place on the last Thursday in November and is seen as an opportunity to give thanks and spend time with loved ones.
Much like Christmas day, the occasion is celebrated with a delicious spread, featuring roast turkey and all the trimmings. But being Americans, there’s some great additions to include. If you’re thinking of hosting your own family meal time Thanksgiving dinner, here’s some great American classic you might want to include.
Main dishes to serve on Thanksgiving
- Turkey or Tofurkey? Turkey is the main event, but vegans need not miss out. A tofu dish creatively entitled ‘tofurkey’ is favoured by celebs including Miley Cyrus.
- Potato – forget roasties, it’s all about creamy mash. Use buttermilk to cream it up and why not go the whole hog and add bacon toppings with crisped rosemary!
- Mac ‘n’ Cheese – this American favourite is a hearty dish in itself. A nice twist on the meal is to add some broccoli, ensuring children’s plates include nutritious bites too!
- All the squashes - butternut, pumpkin and go on, throw in a parsnip - mash them up and serve with a hint of maple syrup.
- Savoury corn pudding – the US version of white sauce and stuffing combined! This creamy-ish side dish offers a lovely sweet kick!
- Glazed pearl onions – when it comes to healthy snacks for children, onions are a versatile vegetable. Beautifully glazed, these sweet little treats are a divine addition to any kid’s plate. Not just a toddler’s recipe, Martha Stewart’s recipe is easy to follow.
There are two desserts you need to prepare in your Thanksgiving armory, both are ridiculously moreish that you won't be sorry you spent time pouring over them.
- Pumpkin Pie – fiendishly Moorish, a great dish served with a side of cream. The sort of food for kids you want to serve up for special occasions.
- Pecan Pie – Just the smell of pumpkin pie tells you that Christmas is on its way. It's also a great way to use up your leftover pumpkins on display, into a hearty dish. Serve with freshly whipped cream, straight from the oven for all those 'Mamma cooking' feels.
Great family films to watch!
Forget an EastEnders punch up and the Queens Speech, Americans will be enjoying holiday films that give all the feels! Here’s a couple all the family are sure to enjoy
- A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
- The House of Yes
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Grumpy Old Men
- Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Great music to listen to
Once the pies are eaten, the kid’s plates are clean and the movies are over, it’s time to turn up the volume and listen to a Michael Buble Christmas album, perfection!
Happy Thanksgiving one and all!
Keep up to date with the latest news from Munchy Play by following @munchyplay