Popular Thanksgiving Food 2021
Thanksgiving 2021 is here, are you planning to celebrate?
In a small corner of the world known as America and Canada, the annual celebration of Thanksgiing has returns. Here's some fun and inspiring ideas for marking Thanksgiving 2021.
What is Thanksgiving?
Popular Thanksgiving food
Lets skip to the best bit, the food. A bit like Christmas day, Thanksgiving food is marked with a delicious spread, featuring roast turkey and all the trimmings. But being Americans, there’s some great additions they've included too. If you’re thinking of hosting your own family meal time Thanksgiving dinner, here’s some great American classic you might want to include.
Main dishes to serve on Thanksgiving
- Butter-and-Herb Roast Turkey (the more butter the better!) If you're a veggie than Tofurkey is the way.
- Stuffing made from cornbread and sausage meat for all the Harvest Festival feels.
- Glazed Brussels Sprouts (there's no escaping them!)
- Buttered sweet potatoes
- Mac ‘n’ Cheese – this American favourite is a hearty dish in itself. A nice twist on the meal is to add some broccoli, ensuring children’s plates include nutritious bites too!
- All the squashes - butternut, pumpkin and go on, throw in a parsnip - mash them up and serve with a hint of maple syrup.
- Glazed pearl onions – when it comes to healthy snacks for children, onions are a versatile vegetable. Beautifully glazed, these sweet little treats are a divine addition to any kid’s plate. Not just a toddler’s recipe, Martha Stewart’s recipe is easy to follow.
- And don't forget the leftovers. A turkey sandwich is delicious the next day, and here's a cute way of bringing it to life on our James Train Plate.
Great American desserts
There are two desserts you need to prepare in your Thanksgiving 2021 armory, both are ridiculously moreish that you won't be sorry you spent time pouring over them.
- Pecan Pie (go on say it like they do in When Harry Met Sally!). Just a whiff of this tells you it's Christmas. It's also a great way to use up your leftover pumpkins on display. Serve with freshly whipped cream, straight from the oven for all those 'Mamma cooking' feels.
- Pumpkin Pie – fiendishly Moorish, a great dish served with a side of cream. The sort of food for kids you want to serve up for special occasions.
Great family films to watch during Thanksgiving
Whether you're in the States, or here in the UK, here's some must-watch Thanksgiving films that all the family are sure to enjoy
- A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
- The House of Yes
- Miracle on 34th Street
- Grumpy Old Men
- Planes, Trains and Automobiles
And, once the pies are eaten, the kid’s plates are clean and the movies are over, it’s time to turn up the volume and listen to a Michael Buble Christmas album, perfection!
Happy Thanksgiving one and all!
Keep up to date with the latest news from Munchy Play by following @munchyplay