Delicious and healthy Mexican Recipes for Kids Mealtimes
We're all missing our favourite holidays abroad this year. And holidays always provides plenty of inspiration for delicious food choices for serving up on our kids dinner plates.
Inspired by travels to Cancun, and the west coast of America with its selection of Latin inspired food, we’ve compiled three healthy meals for children that even grown up's are sure to love!
Mini Veggie Wraps
This is a great dish for getting kids involved at meal times, encouraging them to actively take part in the serving of meals, it’s also vegetarian friendly too. Serve with nachos on the side - always a winner!
- Small soft flour wraps
- Sour cream
- Kidney beans mashed (or refried beans will do)
- Red Leicester cheese
- A large onion finely chopped
- Red, green and yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 3 x vine ripe tomatoes cubed
- 2 tsp of tomato sauce
- clove of garlic
- Heat a pain with oil and fry garlic and onions until they start to brown
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce, followed by the thinly sliced bell peppers and mashed beans
- Cook for a few minutes then cover in grated red Leicester cheese until it starts to bubble
- Place ingredients in a kids bowl, serve with warmed tortillas, a separate bowl of grated cheese and some sour cream on the side.
Invite your little one to get stuck in and wrap their own delicious wrap!
Kids Mexican Rice
Nutritious and delicious and taking very little time to make, this is a staple dish works perfectly alongside a variety of other foods.
- 2 cups of brown rice, cooked
- Chopped half cup of coriander
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- 1 clove of garlic
- vegetable oil
- 2 limes (juice all but a wedge for decoration)
- 3 spoonful’s of Olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- red pepper chopped finely
- can of unsalted black beans drained and rinsed
- tin of unsalted sweetcorn
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions, then drain and set aside
- Using a food processor combine the olive oil, salt and pepper, lime juice, garlic, coriander and touch of smoked paprika, until mixture is smooth.
- In a large bowl mix the corn, brown rice, peppers and beans together
- Bring your children's dishes to the table and let you little one pours the dressing over the rice before mixing it up and serving. Yum!
3. Easy huevos rancheros
A great pick-me-up for breakfast or brunch, it looks as exciting as it tastes!
- Small tortillas
- 1 free-range egg
- can of refried beans (or black beans drained)
- lime (juiced)
- Ripe avocado (cut in half)
- 50g feta crumbled
- Corn on the cob (optional)
- In a bowl add the beans with the lime and mash with a fork – set aside
- In a heated frying pan add the tortilla and cook on both side for a few minutes, until it slowly starts to brown
- In a separate pan, fry an egg
- Remove the tortilla to a children’s plate and spread the beans, top with the egg and scatter the avocado and feta, followed by a squeeze of lime (add corn – optional)
- Serve warm in your favourite kids plate.
As a final thought, give your kids mealtimes a boost with our collection of kids plates featuring a built-in track, available on Amazon Prime.