We never need an excuse to rustle up a filling plate of homemade macaroni, here’s some of our favourite dishes that even picky eaters are bound to enjoy!
Mac and Cheese Muffins
A fun and easy way to cook and bake together, with delicious results at the end!
- 3 cups of small macaroni
- 2 cups of cheese (red Leicester or cheddar)
- quarter cup of unsalted butter
- 1.5 cups of broth (low salt)
- quarter cup of all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cups of full fat milk
- A small teaspoon of salt
- A small packet of cheese crackers (crushed)
- Cook your pasta according to instructions, usually 10 minutes
- While cooking, preheat your oven to 200c
- In a muffin tin, line it with cupcake holders or use some nonstick spray to keep clean
- Combine butter and flour in a heated saucepan for one minute
- Add the milk and broth, cooking for five minutes – stirring now and then
- Once the pasta is cooked, rinse in cold water and add to the cheesy mix
- Using an ice-cream scoop or large spoon transfer the filling into the muffin cups
- Sprinkle over the crackers and a little extra cheese and pop in the over for 20 minutes or until browned
- Give a few minutes to cool, but these are best served warm on your child’s favourite plate!
Macaroni, Bacon and Double Cheese
A twist on the staple classic, a comforting cheesy dish that always satisfies.
- 450g of macaroni
- 2 cups of full fat milk
- 4 bacon rashers (unsmoked)
- 2-3 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese or red leicester - grated
- 1 cup of fresh parmesan cheese – grated
- quarter cup of shredded bread crumbs
- a pinch of paprikia
- in a boiled pan add the macaroni and cook to instructions, usually 10 minutes
- Preheat an oven to 200c
- Use butter or oil to grease a baking dish
- In a saucepan heat the oil, add flour and make into a roux
- Grill the bacon under the grill for 5-10 minutes, or until cooked
- Slowly add milk while stirring until you achieve a smooth sauce
- Cook for a further few minutes, season with pepper
- Add half of each cheese until it’s creamy
- Cut the bacon into pieces and add to the pasta, along with the sauce and place in the dish
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs on top, as well as a sprinkle of paprika
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve on reusable plastic plates!
There you have it, some delicious treats to grace children’s plates with everywhere! Stay up to date with all our news and features @munchyplay.